Lunenburg Folk Harbour Society is a volunteer-run, purpose-driven organization. Our purpose is to share traditional and contemporary folk music highlighting the culture and history of Nova Scotia and other North Atlantic regions through music, dance and other forms of artistic expression presented through events and educational experiences that celebrate the ever-changing nature of traditional music.
It is our goal to provide experiences that change people’s lives. We present programs for education and entertainment. Some are offered as ticketed events; others are contributed to the community at no cost to participants.
Ticketed events include:
- A preeminent folk music festival – the Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival (LFHF) began is 1986 and has been presented annually since then. It is now the longest-running music festival in Nova Scotia and is recognized as one of the top nine folk festivals in Canada.
- Spring and Fall concert series – the Lunenburg Folk Harbour Concert Series began in October 2006 to provide entertainment options for the residents of Lunenburg and surrounding communities. The series provides performance opportunities for local and emerging artists and the exposes the community to world-class performers.
The following community programs are presented at no cost to participants:
- Free bandstand performances and children’s activities during the Festival
- Summer Sunday concert series at the Heritage Bandstand
- Young Folks concert presented by and for young folk musicians
- Greening program educating the community about waste processing and the Blue W program
- Ken Matheson Program highlighting emerging local artists
- Jim Pittman Scholarships for music students in grades 4-12
We are currently in the process of developing a mentorship program for young musicians and expanding our greening program to include year-round activities.
What People Are Saying
"... there are UNESCO World Heritage Sites and there are music festivals, but the combination of the two is unique in Lunenburg, NS. For 30 years, the colorful city ..on.. the south shore has hosted the Folk Harbour Festival, a combination of scenic venues, top notch music & warm ... hospitality."
— Sharon Hoge - Huffington Post 2015-09-02, Read More