LUSH Valley's response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
We are working with many community partners and the Comox Valley Food Policy Council to set up an Emergency Food Share Program.
Our action plan ... that is already in motion ... is to:
- to secure warehouse space with a freezer, to operate a food hamper program to individuals AND through our community partners
- to purchase and distribute grocery store gift cards to those in need. Both individuals AND through our community partners
- to 'rescue' food from local businesses, restaurants and farmers and to distribute it to those in need through local social service agencies such as BC Housing, the Food Bank, the CV Transition Society, CV Family Services, etc.
- to secure a VIHA-approved commercial kitchen and hire a chef to cook ready-made meals (similar to Meals on Wheels)
- to help people learn to 'grow food everywhere' with online gardening tutorials and a Q & A platform.
Your donation today will help us ensure this program is available to feed our most vulnerable populations during this time of global crisis.
Thank you for your support!
Together, we CAN make a difference and offer not only food .... but hope to our community.
ABOUT LUSH VALLEY Food Action Society:
'LUSH' stands for 'Let Us Share the Harvest'.
At LUSH Valley, we love good food, and see it as a transformative way to connect, empower and inspire people. By supporting people to access, grow, process, prepare and eat good food, together we improve lives.
Vision: A region where healthy, local food is at the heart of community well-being
Mission: To increase food security in the Comox Valley through education, action and advocacy
LUSH Valley is a nonprofit organization focusing on food security.
We support projects that educate and empower people in the Comox Valley. We work to provide people with skills that enable them to choose, grow, and prepare healthy food.
LUSH is an Island Health Food Security Hub and we work closely with other organizations across Vancouver Island and BC.
What People Are Saying
""I'm very happy we have LUSH Valley here in Courtenay and the coordinator this year (James) was great." "Overall, a great experience, I have attended a couple of workshops, we glean as a family, and we hope to help with the gardens next spring/summer.""
— Program Participants
"I think the Fruit Tree Program is an awesome effort to reach those who need a hand up to improve the quality of their diets. I was able to supply fruit to families with children, single parents and elders all on assistance or low income. Thank you, the community appreciates the fruit"
— Barb, a Komoks First Nation Elder
"The garden has been a gift to some one like me that has no other access to grow food and flowers. This garden keeps me healthy, connected and fed. This year has been fantastic! "
— Biggie - a long time gardener at Share the Harvest Community Garden
""You are a highly valued and great community organization!" "Very excellent program I'm glad to see the collection and distribution of all the fruit we have in the valley." "I love how it continues to expand into new areas. I totally enjoyed working on some of the farms this past summer.""
— Program Participants