At LUSH Valley Food Action Society, our work is possible only with the support of our community!
Your donation will enable us to continue our work and fulfill our mission of ‘supporting the Comox Valley in gaining food-systems skills and knowledge to increase food security, self-sufficiency, and local food production across the region.’
AND our vision of ‘healthy local food being at the heart of community well-being.’
Programs that your donation will support:
- Fruit Tree Harvest & Farm Gleaning
- Healthy Foods (cooking) programs
- Community Garden projects
- Grow Food Everywhere – Gardener support during the Pandemic
- Food Share (Good Food Boxes & Hot Meals)
- Advocacy work (Including the CV Food Policy Council)
COVID PANDEMIC RESPONSE: We worked with many community partners and the Comox Valley Food Policy Council to start a Food Share Program. This now includes:
- securing warehouse space to run a ‘Good Food Box’ healthy hamper program to support those in need. (April 8 to Aug. 31: 7,000+ Good Food Boxes delivered!)
- securing a commercial kitchen to run a ‘Hot Meal Program’ to provide hot meals to vulnerable populations through 20+ community social service agency partners. (April 1 to Aug. 31: 17,000+ hot meals provided!)
- ‘rescuing’ food from local businesses, restaurants and farmers to distribute through our Good Food Boxes as well as local social service agencies such as BC Housing, the Food Bank, the CV Transition Society, CV Family Services, etc.
- supporting the local economy by purchasing food from local farmers, growers and producers whenever possible.
- helping people learn to ‘grow food everywhere’ with online gardening workshops and a Q & A Facebook group.
- taking our Healthy Foods Programs online, to continue to support food skills learning and community engagement.
Your donation today will help us feed our most vulnerable populations during this time of global crisis.
Thank you for your support!
Together, we CAN make a difference and offer not only food …. but hope to our community.
ABOUT LUSH VALLEY FOOD ACTION SOCIETY:
'LUSH' stands for 'Let Us Share the Harvest'.
We are located in the Comox Valley, on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.
At LUSH Valley, we love good food and see it as a transformative way to connect, empower and inspire people. By supporting people to access, grow, process, prepare and eat good food, together we improve lives.
Celebrating 20 years in 2020!
What People Are Saying
""I'm very happy we have LUSH Valley here in Courtenay and the coordinator this year (James) was great." "Overall, a great experience, I have attended a couple of workshops, we glean as a family, and we hope to help with the gardens next spring/summer.""
— Program Participants
"I think the Fruit Tree Program is an awesome effort to reach those who need a hand up to improve the quality of their diets. I was able to supply fruit to families with children, single parents and elders all on assistance or low income. Thank you, the community appreciates the fruit"
— Barb, a Komoks First Nation Elder
"The garden has been a gift to some one like me that has no other access to grow food and flowers. This garden keeps me healthy, connected and fed. This year has been fantastic! "
— Biggie - a long time gardener at Share the Harvest Community Garden
""You are a highly valued and great community organization!" "Very excellent program I'm glad to see the collection and distribution of all the fruit we have in the valley." "I love how it continues to expand into new areas. I totally enjoyed working on some of the farms this past summer.""
— Program Participants