The mission of the Group is, as dedicated volunteers, to develop and maintain the skills necessary to perform SAR related tasks with a high degree of proficiency, acting professionally and maintaining trust, integrity and teamwork.
About NANAIMO SEARCH AND RESCUE SOCIETY
The Nanaimo Search and Rescue Society (NSAR) is a registered non-profit society in British Columbia. The group was formed in 1991 and is composed entirely of volunteers. NSAR is responsible for ground and inland water search and rescue within the jurisdiction of the Nanaimo RCMP detachment. The area covered includes portions of the Regional District of Nanaimo, as well as within the City of Nanaimo. NSAR also provides mutual aid services to other Search and Rescue teams across Vancouver Island, the Lower Mainland and elsewhere in BC.
Examples of the kinds of tasks carried out by Nanaimo Search and Rescue include:
- stabilising and assisting injured subjects from wilderness areas to an ambulance
- searching urban areas for missing children and the elderly
- looking for people lost on local and remote trails
- using ropes to rescue people trapped or injured in steep terrain
- assisting the RCMP with wilderness searches for evidence
- searching lakes and swift running rivers
- rescues requiring access via helicopter
- perform shoreline searches for the Coast Guard