The New Dawn Meals on Wheels program is a non-profit, volunteer-driven organization committed to fostering independence and quality of life by providing affordable nutrition services.
Each year, New Dawn Meals on Wheels provides approximately 10,000 hot and nutritious meals to people in our community who are unable to prepare meals for themselves. All meals are delivered to the doorsteps by a team of friendly and dedicated volunteers.
In Cape Breton, as more and more families leave the island for work, community members, volunteers and organizations like Meals on Wheels find themselves stepping in to provide the support services that enable our seniors to live happy, healthy and independent lives in their own homes.
Research shows that healthy eating provides essential energy and nutrients for general well being, maintenance of health and functional autonomy, and reduces the risk for chronic diseases at older ages.
In addition to the the benefits of regular, hot and nutritious meals, New Dawn Meals on Wheels also provides:
- Regular social contact and interaction with our volunteers.
- An opportunity to maintain and regain independence in your own home.
- Relief to primary caregivers who, rather than preparing meals, can attend to other tasks or take time for themselves.
- Comfort for non-live-in family and friends, knowing that their loved ones are provided with regular, hot and nutritious meals and a caring connection.
- A sense of well-being in knowing that our community is working together to ensure that our seniors are well cared for.
Donations to New Dawn Meals on Wheels enable us to provide even more meals to those in our community who are in need.
For questions about making a donation or our program please contact our Meals on Wheels Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-562-1245. New Dawn Meals on Wheels uses Canada Helps as our secure method for accepting one-time and monthly online donations. Donations can also be made in person or by mail to:
New Dawn Meals on Wheels
PO Box 1055