In 2009, the Niagara Railway Museum successfully acquired what is one of, if not the most historic steam locomotive related to Niagara, which still survives.
Built in August 1920 by the American Locomotive COmpany Cooke Works, 0-4-0ST #46 and sister 47 were delivered to the Hydro Electric Power Commission at Queenston Ontario for use in the Queenston-Chippawa Power Project. 46 toiled along with other steam locomotives of various sizes and wheel arrangements on this project for numerous years. She also worked on the same project with our electric locomotive, HEPC E7.
Over the years she spent time in hard service for various owners throughout Ontario, finally ending up in a private collection near Orillia. On June 1st 2010, 46 was moved to the site in Fort Erie and placed inside for the first time in decades. Over the last 7yrs there wasn't a lot done to her, other than a coat of paint. In 2017 Derek Costello came out and took extensive measurements of 46, and drew up plans for different items in CAD. Derek designed and built a new front pilot beam, foot board, coupler cut lever, and end post/grab iron for the front. He then donated the entire unit and oversaw the installation on 46. She now had a complete front end, including the coupler, and can now be safely moved around the property for display and repairs.
In August 2018, HEPC 46 celebrates her 98th birthday, and the goal of the Museum this year is to raise the necessary funds to finish the cosmetic restoration in time for her 100th birthday in 2020. We are asking for donations to help with this work, which includes a new steel cab, and cab floor, rear pilot beam, new piping, and repairs of any other damage that has occurred over the years.
The Niagara Railway Museum Inc. thanks you for any and all donations we receive. Everything helps us grow and preserve this piece of our history.