The mandate of the Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre is to provide education, support, and assistance to British Columbians with personal planning for the purpose of
1. Enabling adults, who need help with decision making today, to use Representation Agreements as a legal alternative to adult guardianship
2. Enabling adults who want to plan for the future to use Representation Agreements and Enduring Powers of Attorney, in the event of mental incapacity due to illness, injury, or disability
About Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre Association
The Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre is a non-profit, charitable organization.
• Public legal education on personal planning and related matters such as health care consent, living wills and advance directives
• Problem-solving and coaching in support of best practices for attorneys, representatives, and monitors
• Training for volunteers and organizations
• Policy consultation for third parties
Nidus also operates a centralized Registry for personal planning documents in partnership with Juricert Inc. of the Law Society of British Columbia.
Nidus is currently the only community-based resource in Canada devoted to personal planning. Its existence sets British Columbia apart as a leader in addressing the critical needs of an aging population and in facilitating Representation Agreements as a legal model for supported decision making which inspired Article 12 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (2008).