Ontario Educational Leadership Centre (OELC) focuses on educating and empowering youth to maximize their potential as leaders, encouraging them to participate and positively contribute in their schools, communities and beyond! Whether it is through the arts, athletics/sport/physical activity, social justice, school governance, Francophone programming or global issues, our courses help Ontario youth connect with one another and get in touch with their leader within. Students leave inspired with personalized action plans to make a difference!
OELC believes that our youth can, and do make a difference – both today and tomorrow. We believe our role is to create a space that fosters curiosity, reflection and growth, and that provides students with opportunities to learn about themselves, others and their communities. And we achieve this through leadership courses that are purposefully designed, highly engaging and full of FUN!
While each leadership course is unique in how it accomplishes this, all of our courses and programs are developed around key goals.
These goals are as follows:
- Engage and educate youth so that they can return to their schools and communities ready and wanting to make a positive difference;
- Maximize the potential of emerging leaders towards becoming responsible and participating citizens in their schools and beyond;
- Provide youth with the opportunity to develop connections with other young community leaders across Ontario;
- Create a safe learning environment where the disposition and skills to dialogue across differences are nurtured, where diversity is welcomed, conflict is accepted and negotiated, and critical questions are encouraged;
- Allow participants to gain new insights, examine learned behaviours, challenge biases and become empowered agents of change; and
- Create opportunities for young people to imagine and generate other possibilities for themselves and the world around them based on democratic principles of social justice and equity.
What People Are Saying
"I don't know that I would still be here without OELC. Nothing else impacted me like this place. I got strong and capable because of my time spent with you. "
— Youth Faciliator
"Because of OELC, I made friendships I'll never forget. The people are amazing and want nothing but success for each other! "
— Sidney, Youth Facilitator
"Because of OELC I have grown in my leadership role at work and have made lifelong friends who share my passion for education and helping others. "
— Course Director
"Because of OELC... I have been able to experience and witness the power that believing in someone can give that person, and I am so thankful for all those lives who have touched my own in such an unforgettable way due to our connections at OELC."
— Larissa, Teacher Facilitator
"Because of OELC I have had the chance to expand my leadership skills and part take in amazing opportunities. OELC has given me the strength to follow my dreams no matter what they are. I LOVE OELC and all the life-time friends I have made:) "
— Kendra, Youth Facilitator
"Because of OELC...I know my abilities as a leader and have been able to teach so many students like myself who needed an extra push to make those big dreams of theirs a reality."
— Spencer, Youth Facilitator & Leader