Water thinking is about appreciating the connections between land, water, local food, health and prospering communities
Our Vision and Mission
Nurture water thinkers
Water, our planetary lifeblood, integrates all aspects of life, but all too often we take it for granted. The Ontario Water Centre’s programs advance water thinking and nurture water thinkers in three ways:
- by inspiring people to think more often about their water
- by stimulating innovative, integrated approaches to water issues
- by encouraging people to think in ways that are inspired by water (water being infinitely malleable, embracing all it touches, overcoming obstacles in many different ways).
The Ontario Water Centre involves people in activities they enjoy that help transform them into contributors, participants and/or champions who celebrate water and watersheds. The Centre encourages researchers and policymakers to involve people more effectively in decisions that affect their water. It uses technology to make knowledge more accessible to all participants.
Ontario Water Centre initiatives begin with local pilots that are designed to replicate and scale in order to impact provincial, national and even international agendas. Programs leverage community networks and relationships to accelerate the adoption of new practices.
About ClearWater Farm
ClearWater Farm, the flagship project of the Ontario Water Centre, is being developed on 8.5 acres at 481 Lake Drive East, Willow Beach.
The OWC is raising funds to re-imagine and repurpose this historic property as a showcase for new solutions while advancing several strategic objectives simultaneously.
- Giving children and youth the opportunity to grow in confidence and self-esteem, as young “agri-preneurs” empowered to shape a future where good things happen when people care about food, water, the land, and each other.
- Exploring and demonstrating the potential of agro-ecological regenerative farming — inherently water wise — in the context of improving the health of water bodies, and mitigating changing climate and extreme weather effects.
- Providing innovative approaches to food security through local food experiences: growing, cooking, enjoying and more.
- Anchoring community-wide efforts to re-envision the local food economy, stimulating a new vision for Georgina, then extending throughout the Lake Simcoe watershed
What People Are Saying
"“The reason for my family interest in the ClearWater Farm is its potential in preserving Lake Simcoe … and the great effect this property can have on small business entrepreneurship, farming technologies and job opportunities for our young people.” ~ "
— Roly Nicholls, Orchard Beach resident, Read More
"“We see this as complementary to and in support of our efforts…. in their attractive intimate farmhouse with groups participating in learning and creating food experiences together.” ~"
— Barbara Sibbald, President, The Briars, Read More