Building generations of readers
The Library respects its legacy, cultivates future opportunities, enriches community life, and inspires personal growth.
About Owen Sound & North Grey Union Public Library
Founded in 1855 as the Owen Sound Mechanics' Institute, the Library has grown into a full-services public library serving the needs of residents and taxpayers of the City of Owen Sound, the Township of Chatsworth, the Township of Georgian Bluffs and the Municipality of Meaford (former Sydenham Township portion.) The Mechanics’ Institute Library and Reading Room was housed in various downtown Owen Sound locations. A purpose-built permanent building on First Avenue West, The Carnegie Library, was built in 1914 with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The old Carnegie Library was renovated and an addition was added to the north end in 1973, creating the 22,500 sq. foot library building that we know today. Extensive renovations of the Carnegie Library were completed in April 2003 and in the Children & Youth Services Department in 2009. The Library celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2005.