About PARKER STREET FOOD & FURNITURE BANK and THE TURKEY CLUB
Parker Street Food & Furniture Bank was established in 1983 in Halifax, Nova Scotia to help provide food to low income families. It has grown substantially from it's humble beginnings as a food bank operating out of a single car garage. We now serve on average of 1,200 families each month with supplemental and emergency groceries.
Apart from food, Parker Street helps with furniture, clothing, school supplies and Christmas hampers. Parker Street also provides financial emergency assistance for power bills, oil for heating and prescribed medication.
We are the largest independent food and furniture bank in the province and our clients come from throughout Halifax Regional Municipality.
THE TURKEY CLUB, founded by Jack Cruickshank in 2004, is dedicated to helping the needy at Christmas.
Working with our community to provide food, furniture and emergency assistance to those in need.
Working together to create a hunger-free community and improving the lives of those in need in our community in a caring and compassionate manner.
- All people are treated with compassion, dignity, and understanding
- Our clients deserve the most nutritious food we can provide
- Volunteerism is our strength and primary resource. We would not be able to serve the more than 1,000 families who look to us for assistance each month without caring volunteers who give their time
- We are accountable to our community for the programs and services we deliver
- We are responsible and transparent stewards of the resources entrusted to us by our community
- We encourage leadership at all levels
- Safety in our operations is paramount
What People Are Saying
"Thank you Parker Street for the school supplies! This helps me and my family so much. After an unforeseen event that left me without any funds I didn’t know what to do for school supplies. I am grateful for your help. "
— Mother of 3 young children