Literacy opens doors
Our mission is to advance literacy for the people of Prince Edward Island.
Building a culture of literacy and learning supports all Islanders to reach their full potential.
When our citizens have high literacy skills: they are much more likely to have confidence; be creative and innovative; experience freedom and autonomy; and have hope and optimism for the future.
These qualities are what we need as a province and as a whole planet in order to address the big issues we face.
We exist to:
- decrease gaps and overlaps in literacy services to adult learners and their families
- reduce barriers to people with low literacy levels
- inform Islanders about the personal costs of low literacy on economic, cultural, political and social aspects of life
- promote a culture where literacy is valued and celebrated across PEI
- Literacy is a basic human right
- Learning is lifelong
- Literacy and learning opens doors
What People Are Saying
" "No one gets anywhere without a lot of help from other people. Thanks in part to the Literacy Alliance, now I have my GED and I am a successful business owner." "
— Dianne Smith, Alliance Bursary Winner, Read More
"Now I know I'm smart!"
— Ready Set Learn! Program Student
"I am a mature student with a math learning disability and a speech impairment. The journey to attend post secondary studies as been a long one. Thank you [Literacy Alliance] for being a part of my academic journey and helping to ease some of the financial burden of going back to school"
— Bryan - winner of one of our scholarships for adult learners, Read More
"I had not fooled everyone and it was a relief to admit it. For 2 years, twice a week, we [my tutor and I] met and I could see the change in myself. I am no longer afraid of a piece of paper with words on it and most of all, I enjoy reading very much."
— Terry Affleck, Read More