Regent Park Film Festival is happy to host The Regent Park Project, a Kick Start Arts initiative. Regent Park Film Festival is a registered charity and accepts donations on behalf of The Regent Park Project.
The Regent Park Project is a holistic initiative with a three-pronged approach to engaging youth and creating meaningful professional content: training, filming, support.
- Built a community of young artists who are connected to the facilitators and to each other. As a result, we have been able to offer social, emotional, and academic supports that extend beyond the filmmaking process as needs have appeared.
- Offered youth from Regent Park and beyond free training in acting, production and writing, including workshops with top industry professionals
- Created opportunities to attend industry events, visit sets, and attend a multitude of theatre performances.
- Used a collaborative process to create scripts with the youth participants, drawing on their ‘lived experiences to create meaningful content for our web series.
- Offered paid opportunities to act and crew along-side professional artists during filming.
- Filmed 8 professional-level episodes of an interactive series.
We are currently fundraising so we can continue this highly successful initiative and allow it to flourish.
Now that we have an established process, we want to continue what we have developed, and build upon that success by:
- Continuing to train our current participants so they can step more and more into positions of leadership
- Continuing to create scripts, and film content at a professional level.
- Document our process and success.
- Adding more classes for a wider variety of ages.
Kick Start Arts provides opportunities to explore multiple art forms, by producing new work, and providing workshops in school and community settings. To learn more click here.
Regent Park Film Festival is Toronto’s only free-of-charge community film festival. To learn more click here.