The objects of the Corporation are:
1) To aid in the protection and maintenance of the waters, shores and environs of the Rideau Lakes, together with any other water bodies flowing into or which could affect the water quality of the Rideau Lakes;
2) To encourage the observance of measures designed to prevent forest fire and water pollution and to render such assistance as may be possible to appropriate authorities concerned therewith;
3) To teach and encourage water safety practices and the observance in the area of provincial and federal laws relating to vessel and ship ownership and operation and the protection of navigation against off-channel hazards;
4) To act as may be indicated in collaboration with provincial authorities in protecting the game-fish potential of the Rideau Lakes through the introduction from time to time of salmon, bass and other fingerlings and the observances of fish and game laws and good game-fishing practices; and
5) to examine and advise municipal authorities respecting a need for or condition of access roads.
About RIDEAU LAKES ENVIRONMENTAL FOUNDATION
The Rideau Lakes Environmental Foundation (RLEF) was originally formed by the Big Rideau Lake Association as a registered charity in 1991 in order to fund activities for the environmental protection of Rideau Lake and its watersheds. In 2001, the scope of the Foundation was broadened to formally encompass Upper Rideau Lake. the Board of Directors of RLEF is now constituted of members of the Big Rideau Lake Association (BRLA) and Upper Rideau Lake Association (URLA).
Since 1991, the Foundation has raised over $200,000 which has been devoted to such projects as water testing, bass tracking, loon and frog monitoring, and shoal markers. we have also assisted in challenging developments which RLEF determined could adversely impact the environmental quality of the Lakes. In addition, RLEF has created a reserve fund of more than $50,000 which is intentionally held back to fund a project or opposition which requires more substantial financial resources.