Our vision is one where all individuals have the ability to make choices to live a safe and healthy life.
SOWINS works to prevent abuse and increase awareness about the impacts of abuse. Through creating dynamic, life-changing opportunities for empowerment of individuals and families, we will support their physical, mental, emotional, and financial wellness.
SOWINS, a registered charity and non-profit society, was formed in 1981 to provide safety and support to women and families who are affected by abuse or violence. Our service area, the South Okanagan Region of BC, spans about 4000 square miles from Summerland to Osoyoos; Penticton to Keremeos.
Our Programs and Services
1. Short-term Shelter for Women and Families Fleeing Abuse
2. Outreach Services for Women and Mature Women including those in the sex trade
3. Children Who Witness Abuse Counselling
4. Pre-Employment Program for Women Victims of Violence
1. The Transition House - a confidential location in Penticton.
2. Administration and Outreach Services Offices #102 - 1027 Westminster Ave West, Penticton, BC V2A 1L4
3. Safe Homes - accredited, private residences within our service area.
What People Are Saying
"When you think of the Transition House, think of my family. Me, a 6 year old girl, my 4 year old sister in pigtails and my caring mom. The Transition House helped us in more ways than just giving us a place to stay. They helped us emotionally as well. Today we are all successful, happy and ALIVE. "
— An adult woman who had been at our Transition House as a child
"I have a vast amount of gratitude for the help I received ... it saved the lives of my two year old son and I from abuse ... thank you to everyone at SOWINS ... the workers, supporters and contributors to this wonderful program. Your efforts help more than you could ever know!"
— A young mom who fled to the transition house