Our building’s conventional design was cost-effective and has served us well over the past 20 years. But SCCS is growing and we are still committed to ensuring the success of each student. To do so requires renovations and upgrades to expand the possibilities for the innovative programming of today and potential of the future:
• Differentiated learning spaces to match that of students
• Tools that students need to succeed
• Space to prepare and reflect on learning
• Places for creativity and innovation
• Collaborative learning zones for small and large groups
• 21st century communication technology in every classroom
• Music program requires dedicated space for students to learn
WORK HAS ALREADY BEGUN
This past summer, while students were away,volunteers and businesses tackled a number of essential improvements to the school building – completed funded by donations already received. When school returned, remarkable new spaces and technologies were ready for students and staff:
• Students’ washrooms were upgraded to ensure privacy, remedy plumbing issues and install automated faucets and toilets.Washrooms are now safer and use far less water, saving the school money.
• With the installation of innovative LED lights in every space, our school is brighter,quieter and uses less electricity.
• Using the Second Chance Community Store, we were able to relay a high-speed Internet signal to the school, finally allowing computers to load important online information fast, whenever and however it’s needed.
• Through a partnership with our IT consultant, students now have many computers that can handle the demands of daily digital work.
WHAT IT WILL LOOK LIKE
Together, we will make efficient use of our current building and focus on upgrading what is required and expanding spaces to deliver quality Christ-centred education.
What is going to happen? See the floor plan at SCCS for details on the many improvements scheduled to take place. Certain project elements have been reduced to create the spaces students need, while also taking into account the giving potential of the school community.
How much will this cost? All renovations and upgrades (including those already completed) are estimated to be $1,378,121.35.
When will it all take place? Some work has already been completed,but the majority of the renovations will take place in the summer of 2019.The construction of the 4,200-square-foot addition, consisting of a music room,common space, washrooms and flex space,will take place once funds have been secured. The estimated cost for the addition is $1,050,000. (Conservatively estimated at $250/sq. ft.)
NOW IS THE TIME TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
If you have questions or comments, we warmly welcome you to speak with us –please use our contact information on www.SCCS.ca. We pray for God’s blessing as together we build our children’s future.