Sunrise Youth Group provides programs for members and support for families that are positive and inclusive through recreational, social and learning experiences. At Sunrise Youth Group we strive to foster friendships, promote independence, acceptance and integration of individuals with developmental disabilities in Durham Region. There is a membership fee which provides you with access to all our Recreational Programs, and as well as our Day Program. To join Sunrise Youth Group, please contact the office for a membership application and arrange an interview.
Quick facts about Sunrise Youth Group
- non-profit charitable organization, founded in 1991
- dedicated to offering quality recreational and social experiences without physical, social, or financial barriers
- volunteer based, volunteer driven
- strive to achieve a 1 to 1 ratio of individuals with developmental disabilities and peer volunteers
- rely on self-sufficient fundraising events and the support of community partners
Who benefits from SYG programs?
- Individuals with special needs - get an opportunity to participate in activities most people take for granted
- Peer volunteers - learn that there are more similarities than differences between themselves and people with disabilities, and develop a strong sense of community
- Families - of both volunteers and members are comforted, knowing that their loved one is in a safe, welcoming environment, where fun and friendships are inevitable.
- Community - community members are given peace of mind knowing that our youth are being supported in an open-minded and inclusive environment
Sunrise Youth Group Day Program
Sunrise Youth Group Day Program is a continuing life skills program for adults with developmental disabilities. Our aim is to create a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals feel welcome and ready to succeed, while assisting in the development and retention of life skills and experiences. The program runs out of our Whitby office, Mondays to Fridays 9am to 4pm. Led by a talented and experienced group of staff, the day program strives to create a sense of independence and mutual understanding through programs that are adapted to meet each individual’s needs.
Day Programs & Activities Include:
- Cooking / Baking
- Math & Money
- Life skills
- Volunteering at Meals on Wheels
- Volunteering at the Oshawa Humane Society
Recreational Programs at Sunrise Youth Group
Our recreational programs are 100% volunteer supported and without our dedicated volunteers none of the Sunrise Recreational Programs would be possible! Some of the programs are in higher demand than others, so these activities have a waiting list. You must be a member of Sunrise to be added to the waiting list for certain programs. Our dances and club nights are available to non-members as guests of another member or staff member.
Recreation Programs & Activities Include:
- Club Nights
- Dances/Special Events
- Wilderness Weekends
- Cabin Retreats
- Day Trips
- Club Days
- Dinner & Movie Nights
- New Year's Eve
- Camp Wabikon
The individuals who join in to become friends with our members are truly what set Sunrise apart from all other organizations and certainly what makes Sunrise such a truly enjoyable experience! Volunteers fuel Sunrise Youth Group programs with their energy, enthusiasm and new ideas, and are encouraged to take as much responsibility as they would like. What is especially unique is that there is no special experience required. If you are sincere, fun loving, accepting and reliable, then you have what it takes to be a Sunrise Volunteer! Sunrise Youth Group is a positive outlet for leadership and creativity, and encourages everyone to explore their potential!