The purposes of Swallowtail Keepers Society are to form a community dedicated to safeguarding and preserving the Grand Manan Island Historical lightstations and remembering our light keeping tradition. The Grand Manan archipelago has six functional lightstations and two former sites. Swallow Tail lightstation was built in 1859 but did not become operational until 1860. Destaffed in 1985, the light tower is automated.
About Swallowtail Keepers Society Incorporated
Swallowtail Keepers Society currently oversees the upkeep and restoration of the Swallow Tail Lightstation. The Village of Grand Manan owns the property and has reunited the light tower in 2012 to the keepers portion, which was sold to the Village in 1992. Restoration of the buildings and grounds are ongoing, including the addition of outdoor interpretation panels, upgraded trails, benches and picnic tables. A Welcome Centre is open during summer months. A Keepers-in-Residence Program allows artists, musicians, writers, etc. to live and work on the property. An icon for Grand Manan Island, the specatcular peninsula sees upwards of 300 people visiting/day during the peak of the summer season. The original wooden light tower built in 1860 will be open to the public in the future after restoration has been completed. Donations are used for restoration and operation of the buildings and grounds.