The society’s vision is:
- That people from across the city – people of all ages and cultures – engage in poetry as creators and audiences.
- That the quality and diversity of work created and performed by Edmonton artists expands.
- That Edmonton’s culture is infused with the energy of poetry, as an essential literacy that stimulates other ways of seeing and being in the world
- That the festival is an event where national and international poets appear along with local writers, where audiences experience accomplished, interesting and engaging poetry, and where people who don’t engage every day with poetry get involved.
The society exists to carry out:
- A successful eight-day festival in April (which is National Poetry Month)
- The Poetry Moves school program
- The Poetry Moves in Transit project and other outreach projects consistent with the vision.