The FOLD Foundation creates a vibrant community of readers and writers by celebrating diverse authors and storytellers in Brampton, Ontario – one of Canada’s most culturally diverse cities. The FOLD hosts two annual festivals -- the Festival of Literary Diversity (FOLD), held in May, and the FOLD Kids Book Fest in September.
The FOLD also hosts writing webinars and other exciting literary initiatives throughout the year.
- To celebrate diversity in literature by promoting authors from marginalized communities in a unique and culturally diverse city.
- To present a diverse range of stories (1) that are underrepresented in literary settings, (2) that reflect variations in geography, ethnicity, race, culture, gender, ability, sexual orientation, and religion, (3) employ different methods of story-telling.
- To bring established and emerging writers, educators, and literary professionals together with readers from all walks of life to celebrate and expand Canada’s body of diverse literature.
- To provide aspiring writers with the opportunity to develop their skills and improve their writing by connecting them with other writers and by providing them with professional development opportunities that allow them to learn
- To provide educators (teachers, librarians and parents) with the resources to teach and train young people to read diversely.
- To create a unique space through readings, performances, panels, discussions and professional development workshops, a unique space where readers can engage with experienced artists who reflect the diversity that plays a fundamental role in our local and national identity.
OUR GOALS & ARTISTIC OBJECTIVES
- Promote authors whose diverse literature inspires acceptance, empathy, and equality
- Connect readers with authors who reflect and promote diversity
- Develop a community of strong, diverse writers in Brampton
- Foster literacy and an appreciation for reading, especially in young people and children
- Expand the Canadian readership of diverse authors by sharing their stories with educators
- Advocate for inclusion and equity in Canadian publishing
- Establish Brampton’s place on Canada’s literary map
What People Are Saying
"By focusing on diverse voices and giving authors space to speak their truths, the FOLD is revolutionizing the writing and storytelling realm as we know it. I’ve been fortunate to participate in the FOLD twice now, and each experience has been a major highlight of my literary career. "
— Waubgeshig Rice, author of MOON OF THE CRUSTED SNOW
"Being part of the FOLD community has provided me with a strong sense of belonging. I can’t understate how much sharing diverse stories and listening to different voices that broaden my understanding of the world has impacted me as a person and motivated me as a writer. "
— Ann Y.K. Choi, author of KAY'S LUCKY COIN VARIETY