Theatre Direct Canada is one of the Country’s leading theatres for young audiences whose award-winning productions have reached audiences in schools and theatres touring throughout Ontario, across Canada and overseas.
Theatre Direct’s work has been recognized with 8 Dora Mavor Moore Awards and multiple nominations, 10 Chalmers Canadian Play Awards, and the Canada Council Theatre for Young Audiences Prize.
- To commission, develop, produce and present theatre for, by, and with, young people that provokes change and inspires imaginations;
- To explore challenging ideas and subject matter relevant to young people with creativity and consideration;
- To offer accessible programming that is inclusive of all young people regardless of ability, background and social status.
- To explore new approaches to the creation, production and presentation of theatre that will activate the imaginations and aspirations of young people and put them directly at the centre of all our work.
- Theatre Direct is driven by a belief that young people have a desire to be part of the theatre we create and present.
- We trust that by interacting with artists and the world around us through theatre, young people will connect more deeply to each other, their stories and their communities.
- We believe theatre for young audiences can spark new theatrical forms and invent innovative ways to tell the stories they hold.
What People Are Saying
"Theatre Direct listens to the voices of Canada’s youth and responds to stated concerns, issues and questions with dynamic, brave and challenging art. They do so in the most responsible yet uncompromising way, through artistic collaborations and education/community partnerships. "
— Christine Jackson, Toronto District School Board Arts Coordinator
"I enjoyed the program and felt it addressed important issues that many children are faced with. The program led to excellent discussion in my classroom."
— Betty Bedernjak, teacher at St. Elizabeth on Beneath the Banyan Tree
"I learned that you should never judge a person before you get to know them."
— A student on Beneath the Banyan Tree
"Not only does Theatre Direct provide entertainment, they offer a place for children to learn, express themselves, ask questions and explore the important world of creativity. I have become a better performer by working there and consider everyone at Theatre Direct a part of my family."
— Sharmila Dey