The Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS), f.1984, is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to exploring and promoting the art of independent animation through production, screenings, workshops and exhibitions.
TAIS is dedicated to the art of independent animation. As a non-profit production centre, TAIS directly supports independent (non-commercial) animation film making, with a focus on skills development. We provide affordable access to studios and equipment for artists, and we hold regular educational workshop programs in partnership with community groups, focused on support for beginners of all ages.
- Exclusive support for the production and presentation of independent animation.
- Prioritization of diverse, intersectional, and progressive artistic and community-based interests
- Inclusive, financially accessible services, programs, and resources
- Reflecting an evolving, expanded definition of animation, while maintaining support for the traditions of the discipline
Our Guiding Objectives
- Enable artistic and technical experimentation in animation production via research and creation, and skills development
- Provide access to specialized animation studios, available 24/7, at affordable rates, complete with well maintained professional production equipment
- Offer a Studio Production Support Program for low income individuals, students, and cultural workers to access studio space as drastically reduced rates.
- Coordinate community engagement projects and ongoing outreach via skills-building workshops delivered within Toronto, the GTA, and communities in Southeastern Ontario
- Offer a Community Access – Subsidy Program for low income individuals, students, and cultural workers to register in workshops at discounted rates
- Promote critical consideration of the animated arts through the presentation of curated projects and programmes
- Invite mid-career and established local, national, and international animation artists to lead workshops, present artist talks, and show their work to inspire animators at all stages of development
- Present animation by local, national and international artists with support of organizational partnerships to engage broader audiences and support public dissemination
TAIS has a membership of 180+ active animators and animation enthusiasts, open to anyone who wishes to join. TAIS membership includes classical and digital hand-drawn, stop motion, 3D and VR animators who work in narrative and/or experimental forms, installation, web-based, and animation as craft. Since opening our first specialized animation production studio in 2002, the member artists of the Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS) have made hundreds of artworks, films and videos in our studios. Over these 15 years, TAIS has also commissioned dozens of new animation art works, helped hundreds of aspiring animators learn new skills, and connected with audiences large and small in Toronto and beyond.
With our ever growing membership, TAIS’s contribution to Canada’s animation art production is increasingly significant. Your donations go directly towards supporting artists by allowing us to keep our studio rates accessible and affordable, and to offer intensive residency programs that give artists the time and resources they need to start new productions or finish their innovative artistic projects. With your support TAIS can continue to help artists make work and bring their work to the world.Your Donations: