Toronto Masque Theatre performs multi-media works that combine elements of music, theatre and dance, created from the Renaissance to the present day, taking as its inspiration the core Baroque repertoire of masques and semi-operas.
Our goals are:
• To introduce audiences of all ages to this art form, and increase their understanding and appreciation of it, both through performances and through an active education and outreach program.
• To explore and expand the repertoire of the art form by reviving little-known works, creating innovative programs, and commissioning and performing new works in the spirit of the masque.
• To achieve consistent excellence of performance standards in music, theatre and dance, with an historically informed sensibility.
• To create a flexible, collaborative “company of friends” of emerging and established artists from many disciplines and backgrounds, whose sense of shared community reaches out to include the audience.
• To work in partnership with other like-minded artistic and educational organizations to achieve common goals.
About TORONTO MASQUE THEATRE
Toronto Masque Theatre takes its inspiration from the rich courtly masque tradition of the late Renaissance and offers clever, intimate, and highly entertaining productions which fuse different aspects of the performing arts. Historically informed and daringly modern, with each program Toronto Masque Theatre manages to surprise, move, and delight in new and brilliant ways.