During this time of a global pandemic, we know that many may not be able to afford to adequately prepare for how COVID-19 will affect their family. Many do not have a support system around them if they need to self-isolate, if they become ill, or if they can no longer work.
Food donations are declining, there are fewer volunteers to support food assistance programs, and with increasing need on the horizon our food bank system is on the verge of a very real crisis. People who live in poverty, seniors and many others are at-risk. Mental health challenges are affecting us all.
HELP US TAKE ACTION
With the support of community partners including The VON, the Unemployed Help Centre, South Essex Community Council, Family Services Windsor Essex, the Health Unit, and the Windsor Essex Community Foundation, United Way/Centraide Windsor-Essex County is asking the community to help support the most vulnerable as we continue to coordinate an emergency action food response to the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) across our region.
When you give, you will help provide:
- Basic needs – ensure people have access to life’s essentials, such as food or a grocery gift card
- Grocery gift card - donate $100 and buy a family of four a $100 grocery gift card
- Capacity for community services – ensure that community partners can continue to do their vital local work
- Mental health support – enable crisis lines and system navigation services
- Support for volunteers – there are amazing people rallying to support others – they need our help too