Registered Name: VICTORIA FOUNDATION
Business Number: 130650898RR0001
About This Charity
Connecting people who care with causes that matter®
Established in 1936, the Victoria Foundation is Canada’s second oldest community foundation and the fifth largest of nearly 200 across the nation. The Victoria Foundation manages charitable gifts from donors whose generosity allows them to create permanent, income-earning funds. The proceeds from these funds are then distributed as grants for charitable or educational purposes..
Founded in 1936, the Victoria Foundation is Canada’s second oldest community foundation and the fifth largest of nearly 200 across the nation. The Victoria Foundation provides leadership by inspiring giving, by thoughtfully caring for the assets entrusted to us and by investing in people, ideas and activities that strengthen our communities.
To date we have invested more than $150 million in people, projects and non-profit organizations that strengthen communities in B.C. and throughout Canada.
What inspires us, year after year, is the opportunity to make a difference in virtually every aspect of community life. We focus our granting around five key areas where we believe we can have the greatest impact:
- Arts, Culture and Heritage
- Community Services
- Health and Recreation
About Our Charity
The Victoria Foundation has a long and valued history of helping, supporting and investing in our region. With our close connections to the non-profit sector, we provide insightful, effective grant distributions to improve the quality of life in our community.
In addition to supporting charitable organizations, the Victoria Foundation also works on a number of community initiatives that help to improve the understanding of important issues in our community and the best ways to address them. Please visit our website to learn more about any of the following programs.
- Aboriginal initiatives - The Victoria Foundation works with Aboriginal people and First Nations throughout B.C. This work includes funding programs for individuals and organizations, holding endowment funds and planned gifts, and hosting First Nations' settlement funds.
- Community Knowledge Centre - A website that highlihghts the work of charitable organizations that have received grants from the Victoria Foundation.
- Every Step Counts - A therapeutic walking and running program for people experiencing barriers and challenges. It is a partnership of the Victoria Foundation, Victoria Cool Aid Society and Frontrunners.
- Scholarships - The Victoria Foundation manages funds that support scholarships created by individual donors and by the British Columbia government through the Irving K. Barber British Columbia Scholarship Society and the Youth Education Assistance Fund.
- Victoria's Vital Signs - An annual check-up of the Greater Victoria region as a place to live, work, play and grow.
- Vital Loans - A program aimed at providing financial support in the form of loans to registered charities on Vancouver Island (Nanaimo and south) and the Gulf Islands.
- Vital Youth - This Victoria Foundation program gives students in seven Capital Region high schools hands-on experience in philanthropy by having them research and recommend annual charitable grant allocations.
We work to continually build our funds and invest in our community, granting millions of dollars annually to a broad range of charitable organizations and worthy causes. If community matters to you, the Victoria Foundation is where you can make your priorities known.
What People Are Saying
"I had been involved as a volunteer with the Victoria Foundation for a few years before I became a donor... Things like the Foundation's annual Vital Signs report play a huge part in the organization's credibility - the Foundation is able to accurately forecast which sectors money needs to go to."
— Fiona Hyslop
"One of the most important aspects was that I was able to hold both a fund that I currently grant out of as well as one that I will leave behind as a legacy. The Foundation allows me the flexibility to have my own grants as well as add to the general pool of granting money for my areas of interest."
— Andrew Beckerman
"I didn't know Victoria's charitable landscape very well, so I looked to the Foundation for guidance. The staff have been incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and supportive. At the end of the day, I know my money is actually helping, which is so important."
— Farrell Boyce
"The paperwork is taken care of - donors have the pleasure of choosing their granting interests and where their money will go and the Foundation does the rest. They have already done the research on the not-for-profit landscape; there is lots of choice when people set up their funds."
— Carl and Sue Stovel
Find Out More About This Charity
Donate To This Charity Now
Make a one-time donation to this charity now using a credit card , PayPal™ account or a CanadaHelps Gift Card.
Schedule monthly donations using a credit card or PayPal™ account.
It’s an easy way to make a big impact and helps the charity plan. Choose the day of the month for your first donation. We’ll charge you on the same day every month thereafter for the remainder of the period you set.
A donation of securities or mutual fund shares is the most efficient way to give charitably since the capital gains tax does not apply. Your security or mutual fund donation means a larger donation for the charities you support. It also means a larger charitable tax receipt for you. We’re the largest processor of online security and mutual fund donations in Canada. And, we make it easy to disburse your donation across multiple charities.
Bringing friends, family or co-workers together to support this charity multiplies your donation.
A CanadaHelps Fundraising Page gives you the tools to tell your fundraising story and to track your progress. Share your page with everyone you know by email, using the integration social media feature and more. Before you know it, you will have increased awareness and funds for a charity you care about.
Do You Have a CanadaHelps Gift Card?
Just continue with your donation and you will be prompted for this information at checkout.
Now that was a great gift idea!