Since 1936, the generosity and commitment of our donors has enabled the Victoria Foundation to fulfill its vision of connecting people who care with causes that matter®. Thanks to the support of so many people who care about the ongoing betterment of our community, we currently hold over $350 million in total assets under administration and have awarded almost $200 million in grants since our inception.
To assist donors with meeting their charitable goals, the Foundation helps them to create permanent endowments that will support the causes important to them. The reach of the Foundation is broad in scope as it takes the widest possible view of community challenges and opportunities and makes grants to support the organizations committed to meeting them.
Some recent selected highlights include:
- Our ten-year average investment returns have remained stable at 7.71 percent.
- Our fund distribution rate has remained at our target rate of 4.0 percent.
- Last year we awarded over $20.3 million in grants to 441 organizations in five key areas of priority: arts, culture and heritage; community services; education; environment; and health and recreation.
- The above included a record 104 Community Grants totaling over $2.3 million to local charities.
- We also awarded over $366,000 for 35 projects as part of the Canada 150 Grants, a unique national granting opportunity to support community initiative around Canada’s 150th anniversary.
- In September we brought back the extremely popular Victoria Foundation Community Day, where over 40 Greater Victoria attractions opened their doors to the public for a fun, free day.
- In October we published the twelfth issue of our annual Victoria’s Vital Signs® community report card, and the fifth issue of Pulse magazine, our annual publication focused on providing community news and information from the Victoria Foundation.
- We coordinated bringing Random Act of Kindness Day® to Victoria in November for the third year.
- And our Vital Youth program, involving more than 50 students in nine Victoria-area high schools, granted $22,500 to local charities.
As we begin our 82nd year, we continue to approach our work with optimism and enthusiasm. Our endowment is invested with a long-term view, so that even in uncertain markets, we expect to see good returns. Our donors continue to make considered granting decisions and the charitable organizations we support continue to make a difference every day.
This is your foundation. We welcome your interest in strengthening the wellbeing of our community, both now and in the future.
What People Are Saying
"I had been involved as a volunteer with the Victoria Foundation for a few years before I became a donor... Things like the Foundation's annual Vital Signs report play a huge part in the organization's credibility - the Foundation is able to accurately forecast which sectors money needs to go to."
— Fiona Hyslop
"One of the most important aspects was that I was able to hold both a fund that I currently grant out of as well as one that I will leave behind as a legacy. The Foundation allows me the flexibility to have my own grants as well as add to the general pool of granting money for my areas of interest."
— Andrew Beckerman
"I didn't know Victoria's charitable landscape very well, so I looked to the Foundation for guidance. The staff have been incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and supportive. At the end of the day, I know my money is actually helping, which is so important."
— Farrell Boyce
"The paperwork is taken care of - donors have the pleasure of choosing their granting interests and where their money will go and the Foundation does the rest. They have already done the research on the not-for-profit landscape; there is lots of choice when people set up their funds."
— Carl and Sue Stovel