Video Pool Media Arts Centre is Manitoba’s only artist-run centre dedicated to the exploration of technology-based art. Incorporated in 1983, VP is a charitable organization providing artists with presentation, development, preservation and education opportunities in creative technologies such as sound, video, electronics, Virtual Reality, and physical computing. Our facilities and programs ensure artists have access to the means of creative expression while developing an appreciation and understanding of new media art forms.
Our video archive houses the largest collection of prairie video art in Canada, and our Poolside Gallery is Manitoba’s only presentation venue focused on the intersection of technology and art.
Video Pool’s mandate is to support media arts practices through the development and deployment of infrastructure through which media artists can develop their skills and share their work in a nurturing, supportive environment. We do this by:
- Providing access to the technologies and environments necessary for the exploration, documentation, and development of technology-based arts practices
- Providing skills development through regular workshops, mentorships, volunteering and internship opportunities;
- Providing creative development opportunities through Residencies, Scholorships, and funds for Production, Post-Production or Exhibition Assistance.
- Providing regional, historical, social and political context through critical texts, preservation of unique artworks, conferences and symposiums;
- International Distribution of regional media art projects