Women’s Enterprise Skills Training of Windsor Inc. (WEST) exists to provide training for severely employment disadvantaged visible minority women in order to improve their employability in the workforce and/or to further their education.
Program Participants: An Asset-based Philosophy
WEST participants represent women from more than fifty nations and cultures. Our work is unique and important for our community as we recognize and build on the strengths of our participants as they strive to meet their individual employment goals. At the same time, we provide important information to local employers regarding the benefits of a trained multicultural workforce. WEST has assisted thousands of women over the years and currently serves more than 3000 women and their children each year.
- Orientation and Skills Development programs for newcomers – teaching about life in Canada and providing connections to community resources
- English language training classes-Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada
- Enhanced language Training for Internationally-trained Professionals - Accounting
- Newcomer settlement services.
- Management Training Program (MTP) for Internationally Trained Accountants
- Newcomer settlement programs for female youth.
- Networking program to help newcomers build professional relationships for personal and career success.
- Public Speaking club for newcomers.
- Mentorship program for newcomers – connecting newcomers with local professionals and employers.
- West on Wheels – Provides WEST services off-site in Windsor and Essex County.
- WEST In Motion Program – a series of culturally appropriate workshops for newcomer women and girls to build healthy communities.
- Computer training program – Microsoft Officer User Specialist certification in MS Word and MS Excel.
- Computer Girls - Offers coding and basic computer workshop to women and young women.
- Keyboarding for Success
- Social Empowerment Through Technology Program – a series of workshops to increase newcomers knowledge of computers for academic and professional success, and knowledge of on-line resources relating to health and community resources
- WIST CNC Industrial Mechanic Millwright Pre-Apprenticeship Certificate Program is designed to facilitate the entry of individuals without prior experience and knowledge into the millwright/ machining trade.
- Women in Transportation Logistics and Supply Chain Management: The program trains young women for careers in inventory, warehousing, and material movement, and transportation operations.
- Women’s Financial Preparedness: Bridging the Divide in Windsor-Essex – working with local women and financial industry to identify gaps and barriers that limit financial preparedness of women.
- Women in Trades: Local Strategy to Filling the Gaps - community-based labour market research on occupations with high underrepresentation of women.
- We Succeed Beyond the Status Quo – working with youth, industry and associations to explore participation of girls and young women in STEM and the Skilled Trades.
- SMART - The Stress Management and Relaxation Techniques (SMART) Youth Program
- Youth Job LINK – Connecting youth with employers and offers workshops that enhance employment skills.
- EDGE2- Empowered Diverse Group for Education and Employment - engage youth and young adults in learning and gaining skills needed for employment and academic success.
- Pre-employment sessions, Job development services, Individual employment counseling
- Paid placement opportunities
- Volunteer experience opportunities
- COJG – Canada Ontario Job Grant –grants for employer to train their employees.
- Clothing exchange program
- Community information and referral
- On-site childcare program for eligible participants
- The " Right on the Money" Financial Literacy and Goal-setting Program
- One-time projects focusing on domestic violence education prevention
- Community interest projects – computer and internet classes for people 50+
- Seasonal initiatives – summer program for school-age children whose parents attend our programs
- Specialized initiatives to enhance the self-sufficiency of women and their children
- Build a Dream Event – Industry, educators, employers and community come together to share with young girls and their parents information on opportunities in the skilled trades and STEM