We build safe and equitable communities where women and families can realize their full potential.
About YWCA NWT
We currently provide the following services:
1. GirlSpace - free, afterschool program offered to girls ages 8-17 to teach them empowerment, self-esteem and leadership. Girls are divided into three groups by age. March break and summer camps are offered as well.
2. Family Violence Prevention Programs - We operate Alison McAteer House, a 12 bed shelter for battered women and their children from across the NWT, as well as Sutherland House shelter in Fort Smith. We also provide support groups and counselling for children who have witnessed violence in their homes.
3. Family Transitional Housing Program - we provide support to families at risk of homelessness who cannot access public or market housing. Staff help families acquire skills that will stabilize them and help them to move on to permanent housing.
4. Lynn's Place - Our 18-unit apartment building provides a safe place for single women and women with children to rebuild their lives, with the help of staff on site. Furnished. Affordable rent.
5. Afterschool Programs - Fee-for-service after school programs are available at most Yellowknife schools. The program is also available for days when the school is closed for professional development and for March break.
6. Dudes Club - this free, afterschool program offered to boys ages 6-12 that focuses on creating strong and resilient young leaders by creating a safe place for boys to explore their passions and gifts.