Charity logo

Airdrie P.O.W.E.R.

Dénomination enregistrée : Airdrie P.O.W.E.R.

Numéro d'entreprise : 740378724RR0001

Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. operates a Women's Day Shelter in Airdrie, AB for women and children experiencing domestic abuse.

Airdrie P.O.W.E.R.

À propos

Every woman deserves to live free from fear. Donate today to support women and children in Airdrie affected by domestic abuse. 

With spousal violence in Airdrie nearly 4X the Alberta average, your help is urgently needed. This is not just a statistic — these are real women and children in our community, suffering from violence and fear. 

When you give today, you can help empower women to become self-sufficient and independent, enabling them to recognize and prevent dangerous situations before they escalate

As the only local organization focused on preventing women from needing to enter the shelter system, our innovative, community-based approach sets Airdrie P.O.W.E.R apart. Your gift provides long-term support and addresses the root causes of abuse so more women can create lasting safety and stability for themselves and their children. 

Make a life-changing difference today. Every dollar will help women reclaim their lives and break cycles of abuse. Consider becoming a monthly supporter to help year-round!

“With the help of Airdrie P.O.W.E.R, I’ve been able to free myself from a terrifying abusive relationship. They’ve supported me from the beginning, giving me peace of mind, guidance and friendship through the toughest decision in my life. Thank you so much — I will be forever grateful for what you’ve done for me and my family.”

Thank you.” —Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. Client

Our Mission: Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. (Protecting Our Women with Emergency Resources) is a non-profit organization that seeks to provide women in Airdrie and District with the means to leave an abusive environment through emergency resources, education and empowerment, thus creating a safe and sustainable community.

Our Vision 

Empowering women through support and resources needed to live in a safe, sustainable community. Providing a safe place for women to obtain the individualized resources and support they need to make solid plans for their future.

Our Values

Safety, Empowerment, Education, Respect, Community, and Compassion.

According to Statistics Canada, 8 out of 10 victims in police-reported intimate partner violence were women in 2017.   

One of the more shocking statistics is that a woman is killed by her intimate partner every 2.5 days, according to a 2018 report from the Canadian Femicide Observatory for Justice and Accountability.  The risk of a woman being killed by a partner is highest after separation, or when she decides to leave. From 2007 to 2011, a woman’s risk of being killed by a legally separated spouse was nearly six times higher than the risk from a legally married spouse. (Statistics for Alberta)

Until recently, the solution offered to women was to go to an emergency shelter, or otherwise leave the situation. However, this option does not always work for everyone, and the risk of severe injury or homicide increases when a woman does decide to leave.

The focus is now on prevention and early intervention, thanks to new research and initiatives. How can help be provided in a way that can prevent this? 

Approximately 5% of women will access a 24-hour emergency women's shelter. What about the other 95%?

That's where we come in, and this is how you can help!

To address this need, Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. has opened a Day Shelter in Airdrie, a safe and welcoming place where women and their children can spend time making those plans with individualized support. 

Safety First! We will never send anyone home to a dangerous situation. If an emergency shelter is unavailable, we will help make alternate arrangements for accommodation.

The Day Shelter: 

We offer individualized support, safety planning, education, resources, referrals, and a holistic approach to the many challenges you may face when experiencing abuse. We have a Day Shelter facility that is welcoming and child and pet friendly; we also offer phone and online support.

Accessing formal support from police, counsellors, and other professionals can be daunting, or just seem out of reach to someone experiencing domestic violence.  In the heat of the moment, it may be hard to process everything that is available on one's own in order to make decisions. The Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. Day Shelter bridges the gap between informal supports (friends and family) and formal supports (police, community agencies), and provides step by step guidance for each person's unique situation.

Your donation makes it possible for us to help women and children in Airdrie build healthier and safer lives!


309 Main St. N

Airdrie, AB, t4b 1e2

Visitez notre site Web