The Back Door Mission for the Relief of Poverty works to relieve the burdens of poverty and social dislocation within the economically deprived and street population of Oshawa. We endeavour to meet whatever need an individual brings to us or find out who can wherever possible.
Some of our regular services are:
- Meal Tickets: We distribute more than 13,000 tickets for free meals at St. Vincent’s Kitchen annually to the poor and homeless. Food security remains a major issue for many, especially proper nutrition.
- Drop-in Centre: Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings, we offer a shelter out of the cold and rain, meals and a friendly place to meet and socialize.
- Food Pantry and Clothing: We have donated clothing and a small pantry of non-perishable food to meet urgent needs.
- Community Meals: Every few months we host free community meals. The main events are our Christmas Party in December, where everyone receives a gift bag, and our June Barbeque. We typically serve between 175 and 250.
- Referrals: We provide connections to social service, health care, and other agencies where specialized needs can be met. Many folks on the street are lost in finding help.
- Community Development: We sit on the Durham Advisory Committee on Homelessness and other local bodies, and work with other community groups to advocate for social justice and poverty reduction.
- Income tax returns
- Foot Care