The NBIA recognizes the isolation and remoteness of northern communities and undertakes to bridge these by connecting people affected by brain injury to services. The NBIA works with communities across northern BC to reduce the incidence of brain injury through effective prevention and education initiatives.
About Northern Brain Injury Association
NBIA is a charity organization based on the following principles:
1. The NBIA provides the mechanism to ensure education and information is available broadly across the north thereby reducing service duplication while filling the gaps in service.
2. Survivors of brain injury and their families who receive education and support are better able to rebuild their lives following acquired brain injury.
3. Living in a remote or rural part of the province does not reduce the need of survivors and families for personal supports.
4. Supports for northerners must be tailored to meet the unique needs of the individual, the family and the community.
5. Supports for northerners must always take weather, distance, availability of technology and road conditions into consideration.
6. Northerners and northern communities gain strength by balancing independence and cooperation with other northern communities.