Literacy opens doors
Our mission is to advance literacy for the people of Prince Edward Island.
Building a culture of literacy and learning supports all Islanders to reach their full potential.
When our citizens have high literacy skills: they are much more likely to have confidence; be creative and innovative; experience freedom and autonomy; and have hope and optimism for the future.
These qualities are what we need as a province and as a whole planet in order to address the big issues we face.
We exist to:
- decrease gaps and overlaps in literacy services to adult learners and their families
- reduce barriers to people with low literacy levels
- inform Islanders about the personal costs of low literacy on economic, cultural, political and social aspects of life
- promote a culture where literacy is valued and celebrated across PEI
- Literacy is a basic human right
- Learning is lifelong
- Literacy and learning opens doors