The Port Alberni Shelter Society (PASS) believes that everyone deserves a home. We are a full-service shelter that provides multiple levels of housing including supportive housing, transitional, emergency and housing for seniors. This currently translates to over 100 beds in our community.
But we are not just involved in housing! Our facilities of service include an Overdose Prevention Site, Phoenix House (low barrier housing site), Sobering Site and the PASS Shelter Farm. We also offer extensive harm reduction services and a huge food distribution network. We have internship opportunities for students of Community Health and Market Gardener programs with North Island College (NIC).
Our staff is full of heart, non-judgmental and deeply committed to serving those in the Alberni Valley.
Port Alberni Shelter Society (PASS) is a non-profit society that is committed to providing housing, eliminating barriers and offers long-term housing solutions. We currently provide 30 supportive housing units, 23 emergency shelter beds, 1 family unit and 15 extreme weather beds. We also have the capacity to accommodate other emergency housing needs year-round. PASS offers a variety of supports and services that empower individuals towards self-sufficiency and a sense of belonging within our community.
- Be a model for compassion and acceptance of everyone regardless of their circumstances;
- Create a safe environment of mutual respect for each other;
- Maintain a welcoming environment where residents feel at home;
- Engage our residents as active participants in the operation of our facilities and the provision of our services;
- Work in cooperation with other organizations with similar or complementary objectives;
- Educate and inspire our community to do the same;
Supports include the provision or facilitation of: food services, harm reduction services, health care, addictions care, life skills training, education, employment, advocacy, family, community and cultural connections, transition to other housing options.