About PARKDALE PROJECT READ
Parkdale Project Read is a non-profit, community-based literacy program that operates an adult learning centre in the Parkdale community.
At Project Read, we support adults to realize their learning goals by providing free literacy services in a supportive community. We work with English-speaking adults who want to learn to read, write, or use basic math or computer skills.
We are dedicated to creating a comfortable and accessible learning environment where students can bring their whole self (body, mind, emotions, spirit) to learning.
Project Read believes in a learner-based approach – it is the student who decides how and what they learn. Our trained, volunteer tutors work with individual or groups of learners to help them find the best way to learn.
How to support our work
Parkdale Project Read invites you to make a difference in the lives of adult literacy learners!
Our small staff team and dedicated volunteers run a busy learning centre at the corner of King and Dufferin. Our mandate is to support adults to learn how to read, write, and develop basic math and computer skills. We support over 150 youth, adults and their families each year to meet their learning goals, such as entering college and university, accessing employment and training programs, and establishing their independence.
We are currently seeking donations to support our programs and services, including:
- Our award-winning Academic Upgrading Program for youth bridging to post-secondary studies;
- Our Educational groups for adults learning how to read and write in a supportive community;
- Our successful Driver’s Education Program specially designed for adult literacy learners;
- Our expressive arts groups in Knitting and Creative Writing, our interactive Digital Media Literacy Program, our lively Book Club discussions, and much more!
Here are some ways you can help:
- $50 will help one learner access our educational groups and tutoring program for a month.
- $100 will support a Winter Scarf Project for our knitting group.
- $500 will provide learners with childminding support while they improve their basic literacy skills.
- $800 will provide TTC tokens for 100 learners to attend our program.
- $1600 will provide Post-secondary Metropasses for 15 youth preparing themselves for college.
It’s easy to donate:
- Mail a cheque or money order to: Parkdale Project Read, 1209 King Street West, Unit #2 Toronto, Ontario M6K 1G2
- Make a secure online donation via Canada Helps.
- If your organization, school, or business wants to raise funds for a charitable organization, please consider Parkdale Project Read. Contact us at 416-531-6308 to learn how you can get involved!
- Does your workplace participate in the annual United Way Campaign? Did you know that you can select our organization as your charity of choice through the United Way Donor Choice Program. To designate United Way Contributions (or a percentage of contributions) to our organization, please indicate the following on your donation form: Organization: Parkdale Project Read, Charitable Registration #: 11908 0299 RR0001
We welcome all donation amounts and can provide tax receipts for those over $10. Charitable Registration #: 11908 0299 RR0001